Bass fishing lures come in countless models, shapes, and sizes, and if you fish for bass, you have a tough decision to make every time you choose which lure to cast. Thankfully, Lund fishing boats have plenty of places to stow all that bass fishing gear—and we also have Lund pros we can go to for the straight scoop.
So, what are the top five best bass lures ever? Here’s the take from a couple of our top anglers, Jarrett Edwards and Jeff Gustafson.
- Z-Man Hula StickZ: “I’ve caught thousands of bass on this Ned rig bait over the past five years, and it catches fish everywhere.”
- Bagley Sunny B: “This is a really versatile crankbait that shines in cold water down south for largemouth and all season long for smallmouths in the north.”
- Z-Man Jack Hammer Chatterbait: “This premium chatterbait has topnotch components and probably has more high-level tournament wins than any other bait in the past three years.”
- Bagley Knocker B: “A walking topwater bait that can call all species of bass from a wide area—this one casts great, is noisy, and is easy to walk the dog with.”
- Z-Man Scented Jerk Shad (rigged on a Smeltinator jig head): “This bait puts hundreds of fish in the boat for me every year—and was responsible for my first Elite Series win this past year.”
- Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits Senko: “This bait is super easy to fish. Simply cast it out and let it sink. If a hungry bass is nearby, they will scoop it up like a Snickers bar! Rigging this bait wacky style will get you the most bites.”
- Nishine Lure Works Simcoe Lipless Crankbait: “This is a super-fun bait to fish, covers all water depths, and can be fished a variety of ways. This is one of the few lipless cranks that is actually silent in the water column.”
- Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits Three-Inch Grub: “This little grub is small enough to fish for panfish but is also super deadly on all gamefish in clear-water environments.”
- Nishine Lure Works Erie 115 SD Jerkbait: “This is a large jerkbait that puts out incredible flash and swimming action. When you need to cover water quickly, this bait gets the job done.”
- Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits Four-Inch Shad Shape Worm: “This is a bait designed to dropshot. However, I find great results casting it weightless on four-pound test line and letting it free-fall. It’s a super-deadly technique.”
Are there countless other bass fishing lures that some excellent anglers would call “best?” Of course there are. But when tournament winners like Edwards and Gustafson call out their top five, wise anglers will pay attention.
For more great tips form these two pro anglers, watch Jeff “Gussy” Gustafson’s techniques for catching deep water largemouth bass, and follow along with Jarrett Edwards as he goes bass fishing at Lake Powell.